13 February 2012

dinner at 8 + lemony roasted chicken & veggies

My friend Rebekah at the lovely blog A Bit of Sunshine started a project a while ago called Dinner at Eight. The entire point of this project is to create moments of intentionality with her husband by planning special dates every few weeks. She and a friend started blogging these dates and holding each other accountable and have invited  others to join in as well. Rebekah noticed these pictures on my Instagram feed and encouraged me to post our most recent date!


Creating opportunities to continue getting to know and to love one's spouse can be difficult in our busy lives. Yet, I know that during the weeks we are the most slammed, I feel separate and disconnected from my husband. We both hate feeling this way and do our best to find intentional time to spend together, whether it's by sharing a meal, going for a walk, playing cards or reading out loud together. I love the idea of a twice a month date night, because really, just because we're married doesn't mean we have to stop dating.


The hubs and I celebrated our fifth Valentines' Day (!!!!) over the weekend since we know we won't have time tomorrow. We had a lazy day together, shared a simple meal at a simple but lovely table, and went out to a movie in the theater (a real treat these days!). When the hubs walked in to the kitchen he said "oooh, what a fancy table!" and I knew I had done well in creating a beautiful space for us to have a special evening in.


Happy Valentines Day to you all! May you feel loved and cherished, and find a way to spend special, intentional time with your loved ones.

xoxo





Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables
inspired by my friend Paige
serves 2

2-4 chicken thighs, rinsed and patted dry
2 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 cups fingerling or baby potatoes, washed (for him)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into thick coins (for me)
1 lemon
a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
sea salt and fresh pepper
olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large glass baking dish, arrange your chicken and vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil and toss gently to coat. Cut lemon into 4 pieces and squeeze juice over the whole dish, then nestle the pieces into the vegetables. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast in oven until chicken is cooked and vegetables become soft, 35-45 minutes. Serve with a green salad.


2 comments:

Yvonne said...

I found your post through the "Dinner at 8" project. Your husband is so adorable: "oooh, what a fancy table!" I love words of affirmation that just pop out at the right moment. I really appreciate how you commented that "just because we're married doesn't mean we have to stop dating." It is so true - and I find that we are more intentional about dating now than before we were married (and definitely before having a baby). Your dinner looks amazing by the way! Have a great day.
yvonne.

kelly said...

Yes I have organised dates for once a month, but really feel like we could manage two.

Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...