24 February 2012

vegan gluten-free jam dots

Elimination diet update:


Wheat, 1.
Katie, 0. 




The day after re-introducing wheat (yes, I know now in retrospect that I'm doing this out of order. Whoops) my eczema on my hand broke out worse than ever. Coincidence? I think not. Wheat is now back OUT of my life until further notice...




To console myself, I've decided to bake. A lot. Having tasty Katie-friendly munchies around the house makes me feel less sorry for myself. 


Coconut Bliss was on sale at Whole Foods this week... win. 


Made crunchy kale chips last night. Total win.


Gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free jam dots to ease the pain? Yes please.




I found this recipe quite quickly and made it my own (read: made it with what I have in the house and hoped it turned out alright. It did). What I really long for is a Grand Central Jam Dot scone... but without butter on the menu, those will have to wait. 




Did I mention it snowed today! That's right. All I see now is slush and wet... but all morning, at school, the snow was coming down hard. This also means the children were downright bonkers but I have forgiven them. They're kids... snow is exciting. I'm a grown-up... snow is exciting. When I've come prepared with my boots and warm coat, and know that a warm kitchen and some comfort food await me at home. 




If you can't have wheat, eggs, sugar, or dairy... try these cookies. If you can... try these cookies anyway. They may change your opinion of alternative-style baking. They're nutty and lightly sweet with the decadence of the gooey jam in the middle. Oooh, la la. 







Vegan, Gluten-free & Sugar-free Jam Dots
{adapted from healthycrush.com}


1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour blend (or 1/2 cup almond flour + 1/2 cup all-purpose)
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
1 cup gluten-free oats
1 cup toasted almonds
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup agave nectar, or 1/4 cup each maple syrup and brown rice syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
unsweetened jam (try strawberry organic fruit spread from Trader Joes. just strawberries!) 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse dry ingredients in a food processor until combined but coarse. Stir wet ingredients (other than jam) together and combine dry and wet ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon cookie dough, 1/4 cup at a time, onto a prepared baking sheet. Press thumb into the middle of each cookie to create a small dent. Fill each thumbprint with a bit of jam. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cookies are beginning to brown. Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...