10 March 2012

gluten free coconut oat coffee cake

A box arrived at my parents' house this week in my name. Not just any box: a big, beautiful, box. A white box. With an apple on it. The best kind.


My brand new 13 inch Macbook Pro will be in my hands this Friday! I'm so excited.  I adore my little Macbook I bought in college but with the memory totally full, the RAM already increased once, and a waning life expectancy, we decided to act preemptively and save up for a replacement. I'm giddy. I know it's just a thing, and it will burn one day, but with the way computers are something we interact with daily nowadays, I'm psyched for a pretty, fast piece of machinery. I'm a lucky girl.

The timing is perfect, because I am knee deep in a new project that I'm really excited about but means I spend more and more time chained to my laptop after hours. I'm starting a summer musical theater camp! Woot woot! I may not have any registrations yet but I am excited and hopeful for what it could be. Feel free to pop in at my new website.


So, on this rainy first day of spring break, I was in the mood to bake and decided to revamp this recipe a bit to fit my current eating patterns (no wheat, dairy or refined sugar, among others). I am reintroducing eggs this week so I was anxious to get back to using them in a recipe again. What was meant to be like a blondie turned out more like a crumby, dense and deliciously oat-ey coffee cake. I could see it being a hit at the brunch table, or as part of an afternoon tea. Or, if you're like me, making a batch and eating the corners off, bit by bit, until you realize you're too full for dinner. Whoops...






Gluten Free Coconut Oat Coffee Cake

makes 12 generous pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 7x11 or other small baking dish with parchment. Mix on medium until smooth:

1/2 cup organic virgin coconut oil at room temperature
1 cup pure maple syrup
2 eggs

Add:

1 tsp vanilla extract

Stir together in a medium bowl:

1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (easily made by pulsing oats in a food processor)
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 cup millet flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl a bit at a time. If batter is very thin, add more millet flour 1 Tbsp at a time until it resembles thick cake batter or wet cookie dough.  Stir in:

1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Spread into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is browned and middle is set. Cool and enjoy.


If you're on spring break now, I wish you a stellar time of relaxation and a lovely change of pace!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...